Our fees cover the work required to recover your undisputed business to business debt up to the value of £100,000. For debts in excess of this amount or for less straightforward debts, please contact us for a tailored quote.
Debt recovery is very much dependant on the facts of each case. It is, therefore, important that you provide us with as much information as possible at the outset.
Fees and Disbursements
|Debts (under £10,000)||Debts (£10,000- £100,000)|
|Drafting letter before action||Fixed fee: £150 plus VAT of £30||Fixed fee: £250 plus VAT of £50|
|Drafting and issuing proceedings||Fixed fee: £250 plus VAT of £50||Fixed fee: £350 plus VAT of £70|
|Serving proceedings||Fixed fee: £50 plus VAT of £10||Fixed fee: £100 plus VAT of £20|
|Preparing and filing a request for judgment||Fixed fee: £50 plus VAT of £10||Fixed fee: £100 plus VAT of £20|
|Serving the judgment||Fixed fee: £50 plus VAT of £10||Fixed fee: £50 plus VAT of £10|
|TOTAL||£550 plus VAT of £110||£850 plus VAT of £170|
The above fee estimate does not include the following:
- any Counsel’s fees which would be chargeable as a disbursement.
- the court fee which would be payable upon issuing your claim at Court. The court fee that is payable is based upon the value of your claim including interest and compensation, if applicable. For details of court fees, please click here.
- any other disbursements such as a photocopying charges, bank charges or process server fees (if required).
Any additional work, for example if your debt becomes disputed or payment negotiations are required, will be charged at the relevant fee earner’s hourly rate. Please see below for details of our rates. We will inform you as soon we become aware that further work will be required outside of the fee estimates given above.
How long will it take?
The whole process from receipt of instructions to obtaining a Judgment in Default is likely to take approximately 14 – 16 weeks. The length of time very much depends on how quickly the Court can process our paperwork.
Stages of the process
The precise stages involved in recovering an undisputed business to business debt will generally be as follows:
- Take your instructions
- Send out client care information to you
- Review documents/correspondence and any other relevant information to your case
- Take your further instructions on any points arising from our review of your case
- Prepare and send a Pre-Action Protocol compliant letter before claim
- If a response is received, report to you
- If no response is received, and if so instructed, prepare draft court proceedings
- Issue proceedings at the County Court Money Claims Centre, at this point a Court fee will be payable
- Receive sealed proceedings from the Court and prepare a covering letter and accompanying papers (called a Response Pack) ready for service upon the defendant
- Serve the court proceedings upon the defendant
- Await a response from the defendant
- If the defendant responds to service of proceedings with a payment proposal/timetable, take your instructions thereon and seek to document any agreement reached.
- If the defendant does not respond within the set timeframe, and if so instructed, applying to the County Court Money Claims Centre for a Judgment in Default
- Receive Judgment from the Court and serve upon the defendant
- If the defendant responds to service of judgment with a payment proposal/timetable, take your instructions thereon and seek to document any agreement reached.
- If payment is not received from the defendant following service of the Judgment, we will advise on the enforcement options available to you and the associated costs
We will keep you updated throughout all stages of the above process.
*Our fee assumes that
- The debt is an undisputed business to business debt
- The claim will be issued in the County Court Money Claims Centre
- The defendant is based within the UK
Our litigation department is made of up: Simon Rawlins, Lewis Cohen, George Masefield, Hannah Slaughter and Olivia Maurier. If your matter is not being handled by a partner, a partner will be supervising.
|Name||Role||Number of Years Qualified||Hourly Rate|
|Simon Rawlins||Partner & Head of Department||40 years||£385 plus VAT of £77|
|Lewis Cohen||Partner||25 years||£350 plus VAT of £70|
|George Masefield||Solicitor||9 years||£275 plus VAT of £55|
|Hannah Slaughter||Solicitor||6 years||£250 plus VAT of £50|
|Olivia Maurier||Solicitor||NQ||£200 plus VAT of £40|
|Trainee Solicitor||£140 plus VAT of £28|
|Paralegal||£120 plus VAT of £24|